Sunday, September 16, 2007
Working on the floor project
Well the floor project is coming along finally. Seems we got the wood and it sat for a couple weeks due to the fact I think we were worried about doing something wrong so we just didn't do anything. The guy we bought the wood from said to be careful as the teak veneer is very thin. So we decided before we made any cuts that we would put 2 coats of the varnish on first to protect it. We also did a small test spot to pick a varnish we liked. Originally the floors have the varnish with the UV inhibitor in it. We noticed that turned the wood very yellow. Also the floors being old, they darkened. We decided to use the clear varnish without the UV protector in it. Its makes for a nicer color. We realize this will not exactly match the other wood work but we think it will look nice. I don't really see the need for a UV protector down below, but then I may be wrong. Time will tell.